Welcome to the official website of the Missouri Dental Hygienists' Association (MDHA)!
MDHA is a constituent of ADHA, which is the largest professional organization representing the interests of dental hygienists.
Throughout this site you will meet your executive council, upcoming events, information/photos of past events, career opportunites, student section, and many more! With the support of our members, we can successfully carry out our mission to advance the art and science of dental hygiene, and to promote the highest standards of education and practice in the profession.
Thanks for visiting the site and remember to check back frequently for updates!
2016 LEGISLATIVE NEWS
Be sure to check out the Legislation page to see the 2016 Legislative Priorities!
MDHA Legislative Update July 2016
MDHA had a very successful legislative session. Three of the four issues we lobbied on passed.
1. Adult dental Medicaid was added to the state budget and the amended state plan from last year was approved by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid. So, funding will be available for adults who qualify for Medicaid starting from January 1, 2016. Debridement, dental prophylaxis and periodontal maintenance will not need special approval. Scaling and root planing will need prior authorization for coverage.
2. The telehealth/teledentistry bill was amended to SB 579 and passed the House and Senate. It includes dental hygienists as providers under the supervision of a dentist. The bill was signed by the Governor. Here is a copy of the truly agreed to bill: http://www.senate.mo.gov/16info/pdf-bill/tat/SB579.pdf Note that MDHA Legislative Council member, Tiffany Grant, RDH, has been invited to participate in MDA’s Teledentistry Committee. Her employer, Dr. Nathan Suter is the Committee Chairperson.
3. Both HB 1713 and HB 1717, the original fluoride withdrawal notification bill, passed both the House and Senate with the language that requires an entity to notify consumers if fluoride is being proposed to be taken out of a local water supply. Rep. Donna Lichtenegger, an MDHA member and state legislator, sponsored HB 1717. Here is the truly agreed to bill, HB 1713: http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills161/billpdf/truly/HB1713T.PDF (Often other bills get the language from an original bill so that is what happened here).
4. HB 2017, our Extended Access bill, was voted out of the House Registration and Licensing Committee on April 5, 2016 with a vote of 15-0. When the bill went to the Select Committee on General Laws and ready for a vote on April 12th, it was stalled so it did not move forward. There was a lot of pressure from the MDA to create language so the dentist would have to diagnose a patient’s condition before a dental hygienist can see the patient. There was nothing to prohibit this from being in the Extended Access Agreement with a dentist. MDHA will seek reintroduction of the bill next year.
5. Please start paying attention to the state elections and determine who your state legislators will be after the November election.
6. Note that the next MDHA Lobby Day is Feb. 8, 2017. Save the date notices were already sent out to the dental hygiene schools and is on the MDHA website. There will be a discount for those who sign up for the 2017 by the end of the MDHA Annual Session.
Oral Health Champion Award that MDHA received from the Missouri Coalition for Oral Healthn(MCOH) for MDHA’s advocacy efforts in obtaining adult dental benefits for Medicaid patients. Lauren Martinez, RDH (left) and Diann Bomkamp, RDH (right) are board members for the MCOH.
Thank you to our gracious sponsors! Please take a moment to visit their websites!